Pragmatic Platonist

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Narcissist vs. The Saint

A couple weeks ago a cousin of mine, with whom I regularly correspond, asked me which of two major presidential candidates I prefer. I have since had other friends pose the same question so I've decided to post a slightly edited version of the e-mail response I originally sent to my cousin. (see below)

In order to answer your question, permit me to start off by making an observation. One of the most interesting elements of this presidential campaign (as least for me) is the fact that neither of the two major candidates has a discernible governing/political philosophy. (McCain claims to be a conservative but there is ample evidence to the contrary. Obama has been labeled as liberal but he refuses to use the term to describe himself and has changed his position on almost every major issue since the primaries.)

So what is it that motives and guides the two candidates. As far as I can tell, McCain appears to be motived by a strong sense of self-righteousness. In other words, he makes political decisions based on what he feels is the most "noble" decision and/or the decision that will make him appear to be such. Barack Obama appears to be guided by a natural instinct toward self-aggrandizement. In other words, he makes his political decisions based on what will bring him the most power and prestige. If the two sound similar that's because they are. As a result, voters are left with a tough question to answer. Which is better/worse in the oval office (McCain's self-righteousness or Obama's conceit)?

My personal answer is that I find McCain's self-righteousness unnerving but also more tolerable in a presidential candidate than Obama's super-human ambition and self-regard. I think McCain's self perception as a "noble warrior" can be dangerous because it can prevent him from seeing nuance and drive him to believe that his motives and methods are beyond reproach. However, unlike Obama, Senator McCain has accomplished and experienced significant things in his life that justifies (to a certain extent) his view of himself. In addition, Senator McCain's sense of honor and his desire to be seen as a noble "maverick" have led him to buck ideology, party loyalty, and even public opinion. I find this fact remotely comforting because ideologues normally make horrible leaders and he is more likely to make key decisions based on what he feels is "right".

Senator Obama on the other hand reminds me a great deal of the star high school athlete that is given way too much praise and adulation way too soon. Like the star athlete, Obama appears surrounded by individuals that have bought whole-heartedly into his dramatically elevated self-assessment and are loathe to provide him with critical feedback. Also, like the young star athlete, Obama has yet to accomplish anything to justify the admiration that he has received. I find this particularly disturbing because, many star high school athletes, who buy into their own hype, overestimate their own talents and often make very poor decisions as a result. It is not hard for me to imagine a similar scenario unfolding if Senator Obama takes the Oval Office.

So, as a result, while I don't find either candidate particularly appealing, I am significantly more comfortable with a President McCain than a President Obama.

I should also note that I generally vote for the more conservative of the two presidential candidates. I think it is particularly important to have a conservative politician in our government's top executive office because it wields an ever growing amount of power and authority. So, someone who at least pays lip service to limited government (as McCain does) is marginally preferable to a candidate that has absolutely no reservations about expanding the size and scope of the federal government.

1 Comments:

At 8:20 AM, Blogger Olivia said...

The recent political ads that have been on the TV highlight your points about both candidates quite well. Will there ever be a time when we like who is running for president or is it the nature of politics to produce less than desirable candidates?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home